Thursday, April 25, 2013

Last week of adaptation!

Of course the recovery week timing would have been much better this week, when I have TWO authors in town, instead of next week, when I have nothing, but nevertheless, I'm feeling pretty good and confident about the next phase ahead.  My biking is feeling strong, and my runs off the bike are feeling great, too.  It's funny,but I actually never did any real brick workouts prior to starting this IronMan training plan.  For all of my Olympic distance races, I would just wing it.   Not that I wasn't in shape running-wise (it's probably where I am strongest/most dedicated training wise, in large part because it is the easiest of the three disciplines to fit in to a busy schedule), but I had never trained off the bike in any fashion. 

Now that I've started doing it quite a bit, I am actually REALLY excited for the NYC Triathlon in July and Age Group Nationals in August!  I don't know if I'm neccessarily feeling confident about the Iron Man....looking ahead to the longer workouts still gives me nervous gut and sweaty hands...but at least I'll nail my summer races!

My sister and I had our last turo sprint trainer session this week, and from here on out as I look ahead in our training grid, all the bike workouts from here are just long, longer, and longer still, and always followed by a run.  Fine by me as the weather is finally warming up (my bike last Saturday was COLD...thank goodness for my thick cycling gloves and shoe booties to keep me warm), and I think I have finally crossed the threshold of being intimidated/nervous about my Cervelo.  Amanda and I are both so chicken shit about our bikes, I don't know why.  I am sure a good bit of it is because these P2's are the most expensive things either of us own (unless you count my wedding dress, but I don't plan on spending countless hours on that fighting crowds and traffic this summer). 

Nevertheless, I finally don't feel so hunched/crunched in aero and my legs have finally adjusted to the new position...it still amazes me how differently the pedal stroke feels, strength wise, once I'm in aero.  I am even able to now build up some speed without feeling wobbly and scared and feel that it's about comprable, if not faster, than what I was doing in the standard position before, too. And my neck isn't quite so sore anymore, either. Progress!

Next on my list!
Now all I need to do is finally get my butt out of bed in time to make a ride with the NYAC group out to 9W on Saturday mornings! I have been getting up early for my rides, of course, to beat the crows in Central Park, but to make the group ride start time coming from Brooklyn has been a bit more than these lazy bones has been able to handle.  Thankfully, the warmer weather should help.  Last time I tried, it was 30 degrees! No way! Much easier to snuggle up with sweet little Sasha for another hour, who is always so warm and cute.  Maybe a dawn squirrel hunt pre-ride will be in order to assuage my guilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment