Thursday, March 21, 2013

Amen to Amanda's sentiment!

Grab 'em and go!!
She beat me to a post today, but agree that the hardest thing about sticking to this plan this far is every day regularity (minus the one rest day, of course), and that, if nothing else, is a good habit to get in to as it will pay of down the line, I have no doubt, with the regular building of a base versus trying to cram in long, hard training sessions in to our schedule with not much in between.   I know Amanda and I are both guilty of this with our schedules! Leading in to that half marathon, I had probably run three times the two weeks prior to that due to a media tour, etc. and all three times I was panicked about the half and just gutted out a hilly 10-12 miles each time, haha.  So much for a slow build!

And since the workouts have not been terribly challenging, I'm combining a lot of the swim workouts (the easiest ones for me) with either a run or bike.  It has been COLD as a mofo the past week in NYC, so all bike rides have been on the trainer.  The hardest workout thus far has been a 35 minute aerobic spin, followed by the six times the following: 5 minutes on the smallest chain ring (aka, the highest gear), 5 minutes recovery.  It sounds like nothing, but dang.  And today I did a mile swim straight (booooring, but I was short on time) and then the 60 minute timed run, plus some squats, lunges, stretches, knee stuff afterwords.

I feel like some adjustments will be neccessary even as we move into the real meat & potatoes of the plan--putting rest days when we need them, schedule wise--and a fellow I met in the pool the other day (former Cal swimmer who had done IronMan France) gave me some other sample "test sets" that sound just insane to me:

2 hour swim, 2 hour bike, 2 hour run--nice easy Saturday, right?!

Or the "David Scott:" 2 weeks out from raceday: 20 mile bike, 5 mile run.  20 mile bike, 4 mile run.  20 mile bike, 3 mile run. 

So basically, if TIME is an issue for us now, we need to sort our shit out now, because those two workouts above definitely take more time than we usually sleep!  This 8 week training block (we're in week 3), is the "Adaptation" block, so adapted we'd better!  Or as my father has eloquently put it, "drop your cocks and grab your socks," the official wake-up call of the U. S. Marine Corps, and if that doesn't get us out of bed in the morning, nothing will, even if we don't have the former element of that phrase in the first place!


No comments:

Post a Comment