Friday, November 23, 2012

A Weekend of Firsts

Today Jessica and I did our first swim workouts since getting into the IronMan.  For me, it was a difficult 3000 yards due to some 100 repeat timed sets worked in there.  Jessica and Samantha (our other sister), rocked the whole workout due to their swimming backgrounds, while I floundered the whole way through.  I was very proud of my 100 repeats in the middle of the workout, but then immediately died after our first 50 of butterfly in a later 2x200 IM set, and continued to get lapped for the rest of the workout.
Soon.  Very Soon.

Although it is sometimes less than encouraging to do swim workouts with my sister, these workout sessions always give me new sets to do next time I get in the pool by myself.   This is ESSENTIAL for me because, even though I am working hard when I swim, I easily get bored when I do the same workouts multiple times in a row and it makes me much less likely to get in the pool.

For those interested our "start to get into shape" first swim workout was:
500 free (warm-up)
400 IM
300 kick (first 150 on your back)
2x100 free (on a set interval)
8x25 sprint
2x100 free (on the same set interval as above)
300 kick (first 150 on your back)
2x200 IMs (descend, i.e second one faster than the first)
500 free steady

Thankfully, I lived through this entire workout to do it another day, and I can now justify eating Thanksgiving leftovers.

2 comments:

  1. yowza...what a rigorous workout schedule! Great stamina requires great commitment...I am excited for you two! Hope you get a sponsor!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne! It should be a fun process...thanks for the words of encouragement!

      Delete