Sunday, November 25, 2012

Fun reads

Working in publishing, I paradoxically find that the last thing I seem to have time to do is read for pleasure.  Every time I curl up with a new book, I feel guilty that I should be reading one of the 7 skillion submissions I have that need to be responded to, or working on a manuscript that I've acquired and should be editing (currently on the docket of guilt, an 500+ page biography of ballerina Alicia Markova, which actually promises to be fabulous, but nonetheless, it's still work).

But since it has been Thanksgiving weekend, I have made use of travel delays and snuggles with Sasha and my mom's pugs to read Hillary Mantel's Bring Up the Bodies, the novel that follows her incredible Wolf HallBoth novels won the Booker Prize and Wolf Hall won the National Book Critics Circle award, too, so I'm not the only one that adores them.  Thought-provoking while often laugh-out-loud funny, the complexly ambitious character she creates out of the historical figure Thomas Cromwell will fascinate anyone with even a bit of Anal Annie within them, which let's face it, I think all triathletes have to a certain extent. 

And more directly related to triathlon is Chrissie Wellington's A Life Without Limits, which a dear friend actually was responsible for commissioning in Wellington's native U.K.  Just watching Chrissie race is inspirational enough in and of itself.  She doesn't have to say a word! But now that she's put her life and philosophies on triathlon, training and life in general into print, you can be inspired whenever you'd like without having to worry about commercials.  From her struggles with body image and an eating disorder, to finding her true calling professionally and emotionally, there is enough there outside being one of the greatest the sport has ever seen! Some of the training is mind boggling.  Even just being back at my parent's home for high school all I can think about is how insane some of our swim practices used to be with my old club team (triples!), and that doesn't hold a candle to what she's doing.  It is a fast read and definitely motivated me for a few early mornings or post-stressful-work-day workouts.

I also had the privilege to briefly correspond with Chrissy regarding a rather upsetting discovery about an old coach of mine earlier this summer, which paralleled a story she shared in her book.  She could not have been warmer or more gracious and sincere in her reply and it helped put what I had learned in to perspective.  It meant so much to hear it from someone who had dealt with  a similar issue with such grace, and the fact that she took time out of her busy schedule to do so shows how awesome she is on all levels!

No comments:

Post a Comment