Thursday, November 29, 2012

Run, Sasha, Run!

Sasha: But I want to go on your long run!
I am putting it out there--I love my little dog Sasha an absurd amount.  My husband and I were on our honeymoon in Greece, and I swear that we spent half of our time wondering what Sasha was doing at my mom's house.  She's a ball of energy and spunk and no pigeon or squirrel in Brooklyn is safe from her adorable "stalk and hunt" act.  She's also a really fast runner.  At a full sprint, I can't even come close to keeping up with her, and the expression on her face is unparalleled.  That is something to always remember--forget the pace or how many miles you have to log in--just running to feel the wind in your hair (or ears as the case may be) and enjoying the exhilaration of speed is its own reward!  Even my sister's dog, Cosmo, would zoom around the backyard in loops with a funny little pug-grin on his face.  He's so old now, he doesn't have the energy for too many yard-loops, but ever once in a while, he still will take to the fence and run along side some kids walking home from school.

Here in Brooklyn, Sasha gets most of her runs in Prospect Park, running back and forth in the main field between me and my husband, stopping for a few seconds with each of us for a kiss and bite of grass before zooming back to the other. 

One evening, after we both had been cooped up all day due to a crazy work crisis on my part, I put on my running gear and thought I'd take her for a walk and then head right back out for a night run along the Brooklyn Heights Promenade.  Round-trip from my door, it is probably only 4 miles, but it's well-lit and safe, and ideal for stress relief after a long day when anything else is just not in the cards.

So, I leashed her up and right when we headed out the door, she kept pulling me forward. She was in no mood to just walk.  Faster! Faster! So I broke out into a run, and instead of trying to zoom off ahead at full speed, she settled in to a nice trot just ahead of me.  At our usual turn-around spot for walks, I didn't have the heart to do it so--she looked so happy and was clearly eager for more.  So we kept running.  

Up into Brooklyn Heights, along the Promenade, and garnering a few funny looks a long the way.  I had the biggest sh*t-eating grin on my face for having such a sincere and adorable running buddy, and Sasha is so tiny (15lbs) but so fast, no wonder people stared!  We were hauling!

When I reached the end of the hill at the base of the Promenade, I crouched down to see if she wanted to take a rest or walk the rest of the way back.  After she licked all the sweat off my face, she turned around and started pulling to go back up the hill the way we came.   So off we went! All the way back home.  And it was even a bit of a fartlek workout on the way back, and the closer we got to our apartment, she's lay on little bursts of speed and I'd have to keep up! No way could I let a little bean like her finish me off!

I had always told Amanda that some day I wanted a dog I could run with.  Who knew that this tiny little Cavalier Spaniel was already the one! She's 2 years old and at her physical peak, and the vet said to keep it steady and not go too far too fast, but as long as she's happy to set the pace/lead, go for it!

We now go running together 2-3 times a week, at about 3-4 miles.  She loves it so much, that this has to be built into my Ironman training, whether it is her reward for waiting for me to come back from a bike ride or get off the trainer, or I do 3-4 with her and then drop her off back home and continue on for however many miles to complete my long run.  Every time she sees my lace up my running shoes, she gets that look! And how can I deny that little face?!?!

Hopefully we'll see some of you at a Brooklyn/NYC Doggie Dash in the near future!

1 comment:

  1. That little hound is too cute for words. Who knew a Cavalier could run like that?!

    I've always thought of that breed as lap dogs. Good for little Sasha!

    ReplyDelete