Friday, November 30, 2012

Vegetarian Tacos

Perusing the various triathlon, running, and cycling website, blogs, twitter feeds, etc. while having lunch today, I have come to the conclusion that people really focus, or at least angst, about their nutrition this time of year.  Not from a performance perspective, per say, but rather how not to gain that pesky holiday weight that will plague us endurance athletes until the season begins.

My mom really raised my sister, other siblings and me on an ideal diet, I think, for athletic performance, so I've never actively sought out processed foods, too much meat, and I admit I suffer withdrawal when I travel to certain parts of Europe for work for lack of fresh fruit and vegetables of any kind that aren't covered in some sort of cream dressing or mayonnaise.  Mayonnaise = Satan. Call it the perks of having a semi-Asian diet at all times (usually fish or beans, veggies, a grain of some sort, and lots and lots of fruit!), but I enjoy cooking and luckily off-season weight gain has never been something I have struggled with.   I know Amanda will probably chime in with the problems of trying to maintain a healthy diet while on a grueling medical school class and study schedule--it is late nights in the library post cadaver session that Honey-Nut Cheerios right out of the box seem to equal a meal!

Living in NYC, what seems to get me more than food over the holidays (I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so one or two Christmas cookies about does it), is BOOZE.  It's everywhere! And I work in publishing, which is already a very socially lubricated business, so now it is just more booze with holiday cups.  Runner's World put out this great article that beer is actually not that bad for female runners, yay, and lord knows I probably spent half my college swimming career thinking about my next opportunity to get beer, drinking beer, or else recovering from its effects, but as age settles in, I just can't hack it like I used to!

One meal that I always fall back on that is super healthy and has all the right nutritional elements for fuel/recovery if working out, you need to have something that isn't party food, or need something post-hangover is vegetarian tacos.  They are fast, the cleanup is a cinch, and there are always leftovers...ideal for a busy holiday schedule!

 You will need: corn tortillas, tomatoes, one or two eggs (depending on how hungover you are!), a can or two of black beans, a head of romaine lettuce, red wine vinegar, salsa (or sriracha sauce if you are addicted to it, like me), lime and cilantro. I also like to shred/grate some cheddar cheese to taste.

Take an onion and slice it up, sautee with olive oil in frying pan until clear.  Place finished onions in a bowl.

In the same hot skillet, heat up the canned beans (rinse them off first, just cause they are super salty out of the can).   Reserve beans in their own bowl.

Dice up tomatoes and toss with a bit of red wine vinegar in their own bowl.

Rinse and slice up your romaine lettuce.

Give your corn tortillas a zap in the microwave to warm.

Re-oil the pan and fry your egg (or eggs).


Now you have all the ingredients to make your tacos! Dress them up with as much hot sauce, lime squirts, and cilantro as you like, and then whatever is left over is for munchies later. 

A lot of times I won't even add the egg, but if I am super hungry, the extra heft helps.  It was just the thing for me after a long run today, and I am sure I will be noshing on the leftovers after drinks tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment