Monday, November 26, 2012

Pedal off that stuffing!

Thanksgiving is a huge deal for our family--the hubs was recently commenting on how much food our family makes.  It can be a bit stressful "the morning of" in the kitchen, with three people (my other sister, my mom, and me) trying to prepare an 18lb turkey, wet and dry stuffing, brussell sprouts, sauteed string beans, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce (I make it cinnamon, cloves, all spice, nutmeg and orange zest...my masterpiece!), and pumpkin pie, but it is totally worth it.

My dad, brother, husband and Amanda are barred from the kitchen, as they are of the culinary skill set of able to ruin cereal.  They do things like set the table, keeping the dogs at bay, and pouring us three chefs glass after glass of Malbec.

And while cooking is definitely it's own form of aerobic exercise, I ate enough food over this weekend to sustain me through at least three Ironmans from a carb-sugar-and-every-bad-thing perspective.  When I got back to Brooklyn today, I vowed that I had to get through a session on my bike trainer once I got back from work.

It was a very sweaty, grunt-y, 90 minutes, let me tell you.  Sasha kept coming in to check on me to see what all the weird noise was.  I feel like my legs are still in decent enough shape from training for the NYC Marathon, but for me, being in good running shape and good bike shape are not the same thing.  Different muscles, different way of utilizing conditioning and strength.  When I run, I can lope along for miles and miles, but I still have not put in the time on my bike where I can settle in to a good spin cadence while still feel like I am putting some power in to the pedals.

Needless to say, 90 minutes on the trainer is a looong way from seven hours on the road, but I'll get there.   Plus, though the longest ride I have under my belt is 60 miles (East Hampton to the Montauk Lighthouse and back) it was all my old road bike.  I have not done more than 26 miles at a time on my new tri bike since purchasing it in mid-August and hardly spent any of those miles in aero, as I just didn't feel comfortable enough on it to be in the position during a crowded Central Park training ride or in a race.

Therefore, during these past 90 minutes, I was getting tired not just in my legs, but in weird parts of my back/shoulders holding the position! I remember the pro who fitted my bike telling me it would take some time to build up those weird small muscles, so the trainer sessions should really come in handy there, and hopefully there will still be a few more mild days for me to do some more outdoor riding before it gets too cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment