Sunday, December 2, 2012

Chrissie Wellington to retire?

There is a bit of gossip flying around Twitter right now that Chrissie Wellington might be priming to announce her retirement in the coming weeks.  It isn't as if the woman deserves some rest, winning 13 straight Ironman/ironman races, including four world championships and writing a book along the way.

However, she became such a preeminent figure in the sport so quickly that I almost have a hard time imagining it without her.  I never felt that way about, say, Michael Phelps, whom I've followed in swimming basically my whole life since we're about the same age and from the same area.  Perhaps it was because I watched his career follow it's own amazing progression, and after London 2012, him retiring made perfect sense and just felt right.

With Chrissie, I guess I always felt that there was still more out there for her on the lava fields, but then again, I am new-er to following the sport of triathlon than I am swimming.  I haven't been following her since I was a high-schooler. Regardless, she's got a lot going for her and it will be fascinating to watch what she decides to do next if the rumors are indeed true.  No doubt it will be amazing!   

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2241583/Iron-Lady-Chrissie-Wellington-retire.html

No comments:

Post a Comment