Sunday, December 2, 2012

Aerobars!

Today was a big day...my first bike ride with my new aerobars!  As Jessica has referenced in previous posts, the two of us have a tenuous relationship with our bikes, i.e both of us are terrified of them.  For example, every cycling workout is probably twice as hard as it should be because my adrenaline is pumping a million times more than it needs to due to my fear...sometimes my shoulders and hands are sore after a bike because I am gripping the handle bars so tightly...I'm still too nervous to only unclip one shoe and lean over to the other side of my bike when I'm stopped.  Keeping all these fears, unjustified as they may be, in mind you can probably see how aerobars are a BIG step.  Because of this fear and hesitation, I decided to do my first ride within the privacy of my own neighborhood, so at least only people I knew would laugh at my misfortunes.  I also wore spandex and two layers of sweats (top AND bottom) to cushion my inevitable falls and protect my skin from road rash.

One day, I will not be so awkward.
Wearing my sweet outfit, I marched outside with my bike ready to take on those aerobars.  It was a beautiful day this morning, in fact, it was too warm for the amount of clothes I was wearing, but I figured the preservation of my skin was more important.  There also wasn't too many people out, thank goodness, to watch me, a 25 year old woman, learn how to ride a bike.  All was good.  I hopped onto my bike and did a few laps around my block to warm up, and then tried my aerobars.

IT WAS A SUCCESS!! I made it MANY laps around my block in aero, turns and all!  It's a small thing, but being able to ride in aero (without falling), has kept me smiling all day...through lunch, through my running workout later (I'm not even going to write about it today, as it was insignificant compared to my success), through my studying in the library.  In fact, as I'm writing this in the library I'm still grinning ear to ear.  People are probably wondering what is wrong with me, but I can't bring myself to care.  It's all about the little successes in life!

While this was a very small step, one that most people probably easily make, I'm hoping that this success will continue into other aspects of my cycling workouts, especially in terms of speed and comfort.  Perhaps I will even try to master the skill of only unclipping one side when I stop.  I can only keep trying and hoping :)

4 comments:

  1. Unclipping one side was the first thing they taught me when I got my road bike and clipless pedals, and I've gotten stupid good at it since then. If you want some tips, let me know! I still can't clip that foot back in accurately though and Rochester will make sure the bike sees very little action for the foreseeable future which isn't going to help.

    Also, don't fear the bike! I think it's harder to understand your bike if you're afraid of it, and you'll enjoy it so much more when you start to really understand its personality. You'll also fail less. I very nearly ended up in the Genesee with my bike (seriously very nearly). If I didn't relax and know how my bike was going to react I would have been in the river.

    Hooray for progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Big step! Will need to practice more myself on my new cervelo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a huge milestone in your practices...tackling a new scary skill! clips have always freaked me out and I can just picture you all bundled up for inevitable...but didn't happen...falling! Cheers to you and I can picture that big ol smile of success!

    ReplyDelete