Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Choosing a training plan

After a lovely and much-needed Christmas holiday, Amanda and I are ready to start the New Year off with a bang!

I did some biking, running and even an outdoor swim over the holiday.  I was down in Richmond visiting the husband's family and their club has an outdoor heated pool--heaven!! I miss swimming outside so much...it is the one thing I can't get in NYC and the fact that it was the middle of December and only crazy people desire to swim outside in such conditions, it meant I had the entire pool to myself.  I logged in 3,000, even doing 10 X 100 of intervals/1:20 pace/1:15 for the last few, so thrilled was I with my outdoor solitude.  100's of any multiple more than 5 was something I had swore I'd leave behind in college (along with 200's of butterfly), but I was feeling spry, and the opportunity to have an empty pool on a winter's day all to myself won't come again for quite some time!

Now, the time has begun for Amanda and me to find a training plan and schedule out the upcoming ten months.  It sounds crazy, but with our respective schedules in the real world (school, work, travel, family obligations, etc.) along with the other races we plan to do in the summer, the further out we can plan our training, especially long rides, I figure the better-off we will be in terms of sanity and making sure we are prepared to perform to the best of our abilities come November.

Does any one recommend a particular Iron Man training plan?  We are both of a relatively high fitness level.  I've run marathons before and we've both competed in almost a dozen Olympic races between us.  I personally feel comfortable with the longer runs, leftover from my marathon training earlier this autumn.  I want to especially focus on my bike endurance--both time in the saddle and just being able to run off the bike effectively.   I prepared to integrating doubles back in to my life...shades of college and high school swimming all over again!

This is one free training plan I found online, but welcome recommendations in the comments!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=441

And then a few other options on Training Peaks for a fee of course:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/what-are-you-training-for/triathlon-ironman-training-plans.aspx


Will be exciting to take the next steps!


No comments:

Post a Comment