Wednesday, December 19, 2012

No Patreaus sightings, alas!

Spies!
Mixing up my usual run-route, in which I either hit the W&OD trail on foot instead of bike (which is sometimes discouraging, because all I can think at every land mark is "Aw man, I'm only HERE" versus on the bike), or else two trail runs near our house, I decided to hug Georgetown Pike coming out of my parent's neighborhood and run out to the CIA and back.  The foot path runs along the periphery of my old high-school (where our 4-peat Virginia State wins for the swim team are still listed on the outside brick, booyakasha!), all the way out to the CIA, where I can't help but voyeur through the barbed-wire fence and eyeball all the security cameras. 

The guards are probably rolling their eyes at me loping along, but I couldn't help smiling "back" at them as I envision General Patreaus and Paula Broadwell (or whomever) taking their "runs" along this same route.  For some strange, voyeuristic reason, I was OBSESSED with that story when it first broke.  It was all so weird and just plain silly in some respects, and sad too, especially for both of their respective spouses. 

But back to the task at hand.  The run is about 8 miles and I tried to hold it to sub-8 minute mile pace, although that was easier said than done come the end, as my legs were definitely getting tired and wobbly, no doubt due from the impromptu long ride the other day.  I probably won't be taking many more long rides before Christmas due to some traveling, and I can't go swimming for at least a week because of a scratch on the inside of my eye (ouch!) and chlorine is a no-no,  so there will be a lot of running in the next few days.  I'm hoping to get a true long run in prior to Christmas, between 14-15 miles, perhaps even tomorrow, since right now, my legs feel pretty fresh.  It is almost as if the run helped shake out some of the lactic acid/kinks from my ride.  Perhaps I'll try for along the Potomac.  I'm sure to have some sort of gossip-politico sighting there!




No comments:

Post a Comment