Tuesday, December 11, 2012

An unusual use for endurance sports nutrition

Apparently I can't handle the food at the 21 Club, where my husband and I always take out this one particular publishing friend who loves it's old-timey vibe and rich food.  Even the vegetables are doused in butter!

Stock up today just in case!!
Whatever it was, I was feeling a little weird after dinner, and then all hell broke loose.  I wouldn't wish food poisoning on my worst enemy! Sasha was very sweet to keep my company while I tried to get through to the good lord on the big white telephone, and the hubs went out and bought be some Gatorade and Coca-Cola for when I finally emerged.

After passing out for the night, I woke up with the very unpleasant shakes and headaches that usually follow the morning after these purges.  I couldn't take the sickly-sweet taste of more Gatorade or soda, which I usually find too sweet on a healthy day, but needed something in the system along with water and electrolytes. 

Bring on my big tub of lemon-lime Accelerade and a few salt tablets left over from the marathon earlier this fall.  It tasted even chalkier than usual going down, but man did it save me! I could barely sit up to check an email, but in about 20 minutes I actually started to feel human again.   I always knew the importance of being hydrated, etc. but dang, you'll really know it in earnest after a night like this! 

Back to the real world tomorrow.  After a bunch of rainy days here in NYC and then this one day of seclusion, I'm itching for some time outside, and tomorrow is supposed to be sunny! Perhaps a two-part run with Sasha to the Promenade and then by my lonesome to Prospect Park is in order!

1 comment:

  1. I need to start drinking this for sure. Maybe it will help me stay away in class too...

    ReplyDelete