Sunday, December 2, 2012

Weekend warrior

I had set three goals this weekend: work on this biography of ballerina Alicia Markova I am editing (amazing!) and get in a long run and long bike/trainer session, as the upcoming week is pretty crazy with work obligations during the day and after-hours.

Saturday was gloomy and gray but I was jonsin' for that long run, so logged in 10 miles around Brooklyn and over the Brooklyn Bridge and back.  Dang, it is WINDY up there! I usually stick to Prospect Park when trying to do long runs, but I don't want it to get too stale for me, so figured that on a less-than-ideal sightseeing/bridge walking day, the tourists would not be clogging the bridge up too much and I'd have some freedom to run it at a fairly quick clip.  While I was trying to hold a fairly steady lope of 8:30/mile, I tried to make sure I integrated a few speed bursts every 2 miles or so, setting my watch to beep every 17 minutes.

I am one of those runners that hold basically the same pace for a 5K as a 10K, and while that is great for me in a lot of ways as I increase my distance for the Ironman and has served me well in marathons, I won't get any faster in the end if I don't integrate a bit more speedwork.  I plan on signing up for a few mid-winter 5K's just to stay sharp.  Plus, every time I run with Amanda back home when we're at our parents house I hate when she schools me on a final sprint/kick! Additionally, while the ultimate goal of 2013 is this Arizona Ironman, I have at least two shorter triathlons on the dockett: the NYC Triathlon and a sprint up on Montauk with the hubs.

I am definitely a touch sore today from the run yesterday, and plan on having a good long spin on the trainer this afternoon to keep building up my aerobic base and get used to riding in aero.  I am still fiddling with my seat angle as I am still getting a bit of rubbage in some less-than-ideal spots when riding in aero, so good to address this now!

No comments:

Post a Comment